Control Out of Stock
Control Out of Stock
What is the Out-of-Stock Option?
The eBay out-of-stock option is a feature available to all eBay sellers who list multiple identical items in single, fixed-price listings with Good ‘Til Cancelled as the listing duration. Free to use, this new option helps safeguard a seller’s hard-earned feedback—and helps protect them from associated defects—when their qualifying listings reach a quantity of zero.
Once selected, all of a seller’s existing and future eligible Good ‘Til Cancelled listings are subject to the out-of-stock option until it is disabled via Selling Preferences in My eBay.
How does the Out of Stock Option work?
Anytime a seller’s qualifying listing reaches a quantity of zero, eBay will automatically hide that listing from all buyer searches—while keeping the listing active—so that the seller may avoid receiving a defect for a cancelled transaction. Though hidden, these listings retain their selling history. Then, when a seller replenishes their stock and updates the listing quantity, the listings become available to buyers once again—and retain all the search benefits associated with the past history of the listing.
Are Sellers charged Insertion Fees on Out-of-Stock items?
With Good ‘Til Cancelled listings, eBay typically charges an insertion fee for every 30-day period, from the time a seller creates the listing until all the items in the listing sell, the seller ends the listing, or eBay ends the listing. Fees are based on the terms in effect when the listing is created and when it renews.
Now, once a seller selects the out-of-stock option:
- Any Good ‘Til Cancelled listing with a quantity of zero for an entire 30-day billing period may qualify for an insertion fee credit at the end of that period
- On any Good ‘Til Cancelled listing that has a quantity of zero for the entire 30-day billing period over 3 consecutive 30-day billing periods, eBay will end the listing on your behalf
How do Sellers apply the Out-of-Stock Option?
- Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences
- Under “Selling Preferences,” click “Show” next to Sell Your Item form and listings
- Click “Edit” next to “Use the out-of-stock
- Select the checkbox, then click “Apply”